Monday, April 30, 2012

Greek Life

Last Wednesday night I was sitting in the office working on my Venue Naming Rights project for my Sports Marketing class due during finals week when Sarah walked in. She asked me what I was doing, asked if it needed to be done right now, then told me to get in the car when I said no. Turns out she was headed over to Erika's where a lot of the Greek OA's were going to the joint KD/Sigma Kappa Crush Party. Granted, she had lost her phone and didn't really know how to get there, and I had been before, but I was still flattered. It was a Woodstock theme, so I was ridiculously unprepared - but at the very least I had worn a neon shirt, so I had that going for me, I guess? But I could not have been dressed more like a GDI if I had physically tried that morning - Detroit flat brim, Central Spirit neon shirt, cargo shorts, and sneakers. Needless to say, I felt completely out of my element going to a Woodstock themed Greek Event...

Now, those that know me fairly well - and I hope that would be everyone who is reading this blog - knows that I'm not the biggest fan of Greek Life. I'm not hardcore against it, I just understood right off the bat that it wasn't for me. Regardless, all of the OA Greeks brushed off my attire and made me feel welcome. When I tried to explain that I had been working on my project, had just jumped into the car to navigate without knowing anything about the event, and wasn't planning on actually going to it, they were all adamant that I come. Sophie claimed me as a date, and one very interesting Catbus ride later, I was at my first Greek Life event ever. And I must say, I had a lot of fun. I caught shit from a bunch of my independent friends the next day, and frankly, I really didn't appreciate their comments and stereotypes. Everyone was really receptive and just wanted to have a good time, they didn't care about my excuses and didn't tolerate my embarrassment. This is now the second time I've been one of two non-Greek OAs over at Erika's, and both times I've had a great time - having great chats, opening up, and just generally having a fun night. It's a very promising sign for an awesome summer, and I keep looking forward to the amazing experience that lies before me. Come Friday, I need to start my last year as an undergrad off and have an unforgettable, unbelievable, unpredictable year.


No comments:

Post a Comment